Practice Areas

What to Do After a Car Accident

A guide from our NC attorneys to help you take the right steps to protect your rights.

You may feel frustrated, confused and even angry after a car accident. You or a loved one may have been injured. Your car might have been totaled. Hull & Chandler, P.A., understands how difficult the days, weeks and months after an accident can be for victims and their families. We understand, too, that the decisions made by car accident victims following their crash can mean the difference between a quick recovery and years of physical, emotional and financial hardship.

To help you take back control, we have created this guide on what to do after an accident.

Our attorneys have decades of experience protecting the rights of car accident victims in Charlotte and across North Carolina. Car crashes happen fast and often without warning. It’s important to remain calm and clear-headed after your accident. You may have trouble thinking straight. But knowing what to do is critical to protecting your long-term needs.

Steps to take after the car wreck

We recommend taking the following steps after you’ve been involved in a car crash:

  • Put on your emergency lights.
  • Call an ambulance, even if it appears nobody has been injured at the accident scene. Don’t try to move an injured person, which can aggravate the injury.
  • Call the police. Tell them if anyone is injured or appears to be intoxicated.
  • Collect names, addresses, phone numbers, license plate numbers, make and model of cars, insurance information from drivers and the name of the registered owner of the vehicle. Don’t assume police will collect this information.
  • Don’t volunteer any comments about the accident to anyone, including insurance company representatives. If questioned by a police officer, stick to the facts. Don’t offer your interpretation of what happened.
  • Use your camera (if you have one) to take photos of the accident location, weather and road conditions and the extent of the damage.
  • Don’t discuss the accident with the other drivers or witnesses, and don’t accept any responsibility.

Let us protect your rights. Contact Hull & Chandler, P.A.

Hold careless drivers accountable for their reckless behavior. Contact Hull & Chandler, P.A., for a free case consultation. Call 704-375-8488 today. We proudly serve car accident victims in Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, Union County, Cabarrus County, Gaston County and other counties throughout North Carolina.